Headshots aren’t for CEO’s and other upper management anymore. Anyone who is a professional should have one. If you are the one who thinks that you have the latest version of iPhone and a selfie stick so you can save yourself a couple hundreds….then listen up! iPhone’s have a great camera, but there is much more to it. You will never be able to achieve the same effect as an experienced photographer can. You have done the work, you have established your branding, gotten a great logo and other material to match your brand. Why would you skimp on the most important factor? You are your brand, your online presence should mirror that.
Having a home made photo on your online profile shows sloppiness. Yes, even if it is a good photo of you on your vacation. Going to a budget photographer who doesn’t know what they are doing, shows that you don’t value other people’s work and knowledge and you might just as well stick with that vacation photo (hey at least you were having fun). Claire Boyles a startup marketing and business consultant sums it up very nicely “A good professional photographer is worth their weight in gold, and even if you’re not in business, if you’re on the job market, it can make a massive difference to whether people pick up the phone to talk to you, or send you that email that could mean a very lucrative opportunity for you.”
First impression only comes once, you don’t get a second chance. Social media is a big part of our professional lives today.
There is more to a good headshot than an expensive camera and gear. You also pay for the photographers expertise to help you showcase your personal and professional branding. To get that great natural smile, to pose you in a correct way and bring out your personality. There is no size fits all. You and your photographer should sit down together and talk about what you want out of your session. Let me show you the steps.
1. Schedule a branding session. This type of session is more advanced than a regular headshot. Not only do you get more photos to choose from, but also a great variety to show on your website, linked-in, Facebook, Google + and more.
2. Sit down with your photographer and talk about what you do. What type of image do you want your prospects to see. What are your branding colors, your demographic and other important information your photographer needs to know. This way you aren’t stuck with a big smiley photo on a bright purple background if your subject is walking families through hospice care.
3. Show your personal side. If you are a life coach for example, you should absolutely show your personal side. This can be something as simple as you with your family, or hiking with your dog.
4. Show yourself at work. This is a great way to connect with your client. You have an opportunity to show your office and/or equipment. Don’t purchase a stock photo of a stranger doing what you do when you can do it yourself!
5. After you have a branding session then it is time for maintenance. Update your headshot every year. We can change a lot from year to year. You can change your hairstyle, grow a beard or loose or gain pounds. No matter what the reason you changed, make sure your clients recognize you.
Showing you at work, interacting with clients shows your personality. You gain connection with your client even before you meet them. That is extremely powerful. For some offices it is important to show your equipment. If you offer state of the art equipment, you should be shouting it off the rooftop. You paid a hefty penny for that gear, make sure to educate your client of your capabilities because you went that extra mile.
Make sure you stand out from the crowd. We live in a digital era and a recruiter will look at you twice if you show a creative and professional photo. They might read more than just the first paragraph. They see that you are willing to do the work, you are detailed and professional. You might get the opportunity of a lifetime when you take that extra step.
To schedule your Denver corporate headshots session today, click the gray button below. I look forward to work with you.Schedule your session